Sunday 12 June 2011

Pectoral Sandpiper at Teesside

News broke late last night when I was at the Cinema of a Pectoral Sandpiper on Saltholme RSPB; still I wasn't going to let that spoil my evening and rightly so as I can highly recommend the new Pirates of the Caribbean to anyone who hasn't seen it!

So early on this afternoon my and a mate went down to Greatham Creek to see this stunning Pectoral Sandpiper. When we first arrived and for about 20 minutes afterwards there was no sign of the bird, we decided to split up to try and relocate the bird. Then my mate was going to go and check the other side of the creek, no sooner had he wandered off I spotted it. It literally just appeared! Thankfully my mate had only got about 20 meters so came back and we enjoyed superb close range views. What a bird! Had amazing close range views which allowed us to study the bird in detail. We left just before the rain started. All in all a great half day out birding.

You can click on any image to enlarge it. Also please view the video in HD for best results, if you are unsure on how to do this CLICK HERE. I would advise you turn your sound down or off as it was very windy when I was taking the video.

 (Pectoral Sandpiper - Andrew Kinghorn)

 (Pectoral Sandpiper - Andrew Kinghorn)

(Pectoral Sandpiper - Andrew Kinghorn)


 (Pectoral Sandpiper - Andrew Kinghorn)

(Pectoral Sandpiper - Andrew Kinghorn)

(Pectoral Sandpiper - Andrew Kinghorn)

Stay tuned for yesterdays birding report when I was in North Yorkshire looking for butterflies and birds. Stay tuned!

Until next time, Foghorn out!

1 comment: