Saturday 16 October 2010

A Seawatch to Remember

Have you ever heard the saying that you wait ages for 1 bus and then they call come at once. Well Pomarine Skuas are much the same, after having waited a good few months going on perfect conditions to Whitburn Observatory they have managed to evade me. But today I saw about 20 odd, one flock of 6 or 7 birds! I had 2 adults with full spoons, they are fantastic looking birds. I can moan about having not seen Long-tailed Skua until I see one, if I ever do.

Just before the Skuas started passing Mark alerted everyone that a Little Auk was going past the observatory. Don’t panic! Thankfully I managed to stay calm and got onto the bird in time and I had it alongside either a Guillemot or a Razorbill. It was easily about 1/3 the size of the Guillemot or Razorbill. I was glad the Little Auk was near to the Guillemot or Razorbill as I could compare the size and see just how small the Little Auk was in comparison when they were together in the same scope view, helped to confirm I was on the right bird. 2 more went past and although some others managed to get onto them I didn’t manage to do so.

After the seawatch I had a look at Sunderland North Dock where I got my best views ever of Lesser Whitethroat and Barred Warbler in the field. Both feeding quite happily and fairly active.

A quick call into Seaton Pond was thrown out the window when John Bridgelens came over for a chat. Couldn't get away! On a serious note it was good to catch up with you again John. Sadly no sign of the Great Grey Shrike whilst I was there today.

(Click on images to enlarge)

(Pomarine Skua -  © Derek Charlton)

(Barred Warbler © Derek Charlton)
2 lifers with Little Auk and Pomarine Skua, a bogey bird no more.

Until next time, Foghorn out!

1 comment:

  1. more gripping birds from the NE! Gets me through some of the long, boring days in sussex, so keep it up! :)

    any chance that Barred Warbler could be sent down, It could probably fit into a envelope! ;)

    ReplyDelete