Friday 2 September 2011

Kingdipper, no more

This afternoon thought I would have a look down to Bishop Middleham, I would say its Durham's chief inland nature reserve with some spectacular waders recorded over the years. I had a good day with the following having been recorded while I was on the reserve:

Please view videos in HD, if unsure how to do this CLICK HERE.

Bishop Middleham: 4 Mute Swan, 2 Green Sandpiper, 120c Black-headed Gulls, 2 Common Gulls, 1 Herring Gull, 1 Common Sandpiper, 15c Pied Wagtail, 8c Little Grebe, 22+ Teal, 3+ Mallard, 3 Lesser black-backed Gull, 4 Tufted Duck, 600+ Lapwing, 1 Sparrowhawk.
A1 Flashes: 1 Green Sandpiper, 2 Grey Heron, and 2 Canada Geese.
Stoneybeck Lake: 1 juv Curlew Sandpiper and 4 Ruff only birds of note.  



Highlights for me were the Curlew Sandpiper, and the Sparrowhawk that showed really well aswell as trying to catch a Green Sandpiper. Pleased to report it failed. 


 (Sparrowhawk - © Andrew Kinghorn)

 (Sparrowhawk - © Andrew Kinghorn)



(Sparrowhawk - © Andrew Kinghorn)



(Curlew Sandpiper - © Andrew Kinghorn)

Next I headed to a stretch of river near me by a place called Floaters Mill, a walk nearly to the Houghton Gate end provided nothing until I got to the last stretch I was going to walk. I looked at some vegetation in the distance that was hanging over the river and would see something small that was a deep orange colour and bird shaped sitting, I raised my bins and my suspicions were proved correct as the bird was indeed a Kingfisher! I had a couple of seconds of viewing and then the bird flew off upriver showing that beautiful metallic blue back. First and only Kingfisher I have seen so far this year in Durham, hope I see another before the year is out. Takes my county year list to 221 BOU.


Until next time, Foghorn out!

1 comment:

  1. Adding Kngfshr to a year list as late as 2nd Sept takes some doing.....

    i reckon its a new record & will surely last for years......

    unless you're planning on beating it next year....?

    BIG Sigh of relief ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete