Thursday 1 September 2011

A rather good seawatch

Yesterday morning I woke up to new of a Fea's Petrel that had flown past Flamborough Head in Yorkshire. Hmmmmm I bet that will end up at Whitburn were my immediate thoughts, I was in Whitburn Obs for an afternoon stint from about 12:00 until about 5:15.

What a brilliant days seawatching was had first of all my first Sooty Shearwater of the year and I must have had at least 20 during the day, the next bird was special and a lifer although very distant a Long-tailed Skua. Special thanks Mark Newsome for picking this up, really showed experience as it was a long (and I mean long) way away but was able to note the smaller build of the bird after Mark pointed it out. Next on the agenda was Balearic Shearwater, the dilemma was we either had 3 different birds during the seawatch or the same bird going by within 30mins. Who knows? Whatever was a pleasure to see this species, one of my favourites to see on a seawatch. Next came a cracking sub adult Pomarine Skua heading North, followed by 2 more dark phase Poms with 5 Arctic Skuas! Finally seconds before I left the call went up of 3 Pale-bellied Brent Geese heading north, a rather embarrassing county year tick. Lets not forget the numerous Arctic and Great Skuas I had during the seawatch as well as Common Scoter, Teal, Common Terns, Red-throated Divers, Sandwich Terns, and other expected species.

Puts my county year list at 220, if I got to 230 I would be amazed, here's hoping we have a good Autumn. That reminds me its the 1st of September, the first day of Autumn!

Until next time Foghorn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment