Thursday 15 April 2010

The past week

Saturday 10th of April
I went out with my Mum and Dad on Saturday to Harwood Forest in Northumberland. Sadly I didn’t see the Great Grey Shrike that I wanted to see, on arrival I was informed it caught a big lizard at 9:00am and hadn’t been seen since. I was also informed I had missed 3 displaying Goshawk! I did see a cracking male Crossbill and a Buzzard or two flying around. All in a wonderful day but sadly not so good for birds.

Monday 12th of April
I started the day of early and went to help my friend Stewart on his times tetrad for the BTO. I had a good 2 hour helping him out and I had my first Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers of the year and a Black Redstart. That’s right a Black Redstart, it was a self found bird that I was quite chuffed with myself about finding it. It was a bird that was really far inland for a Black Redstart. It’s only 1 of about 6c in the past year and a half found far inland in Durham. From Stew’s tetrad I headed up to the Northumberland Coast in hope to see the Garganey but sadly we didn’t see them and they weren’t seen at all that day. However we had a cracking fly over from a Marsh Harrier at Druridge Pools which was fantastic to see.

Today (Thursday 15th of April)
I was out down Teesside today with my friends for a days birding. Out first stop was Saltholme for a few hours. We had some good birds though it was quite quiet however a male Yellow Wagtail was fantastic to see. We also had fantastic close quarter views of a European White-fronted Goose.

(White-fronted Goose - Saltholme RSPB - Andrew Kinghorn)

(White-fronted Goose - Saltholme RSPB - Derek Charlton)

From here we headed onto Greatham Creek where I had my first ever 2 White Wagtails. We also had quite a few Avocet as well as 2-4 Little Ringed Plover. We headed along to the migrant bushes at the end of North Gare but apart from 2 meadows pipits there was nothing. Our final stop was Ward Jacksons Park where I had fantastic views of Treecreeper as well as good views of 1 Ring-necked Parakeet perched up and a quick flypast as well. Another good days birding.

(Little Ringed Plover - Derek Charlton)
Year list updates:
144 – Chiffchaff
145 – Willow Warbler
146 – Puffin
147 – Sandwich Tern
148 – Treecreeper
149 – Yellow Wagtail
150 – Little Ringed Plover
151 – Ring-necked Parakeet

I am off to Speyside tomorrow until Sunday night and I am quite excited. You will get to hear all about it on my blog when I get back.

1 comment: