Saturday 2 June 2012

Orphean Warbler

Tuesday morning broke, the phone rang and 'Paul Anderson' graced the screen of my phone. I knew this was going to be a big bird for Durham but what could it be. Paul quickly informed me that they had caught and ringed an ORPHEAN WARBLER at Hartlepool Headland. Don't panic!

 (The Crowd - © Andrew Kinghorn)

(The Crowd - © Andrew Kinghorn)

(The Crowd - © Andrew Kinghorn)

I arrived at Hartlepool Headland and the bird had not been seen since release, a tense period of time passed and eventually the bird was picked up sitting motionless in a tree on the other side of the bowling green. It sat in the same spot for hours before eventually moving and then performed well on and off until late evening. I had some superb scope views of the bird but no view was as good as those in the hand. It was good to catch up with folks I know from around the UK and great to share the memorable day with local birders, good bird, good banter; great day!

(Orphean Warbler - © Andrew Kinghorn)

(Orphean Warbler - © Chris Bell)

Mint bird!

Until next time, Foghorn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment