Friday 7 January 2011

On an Arctic Roll - Coues' Arctic Redpoll videos & images

Hello everyone, to my regular followers you may have noticed I have changed the layout of the blog. This is mainly so I can accommodate for the larger size Youtube videos as I am getting keen on taking videos with my iPhone as well as photographs. On the 5th of January one of the Coues' Arctic Redpoll took a liking to a feeder that had been put up on top of the hill, when the feeders were put up it was hoped it would bring in the redpoll clock so they could feed on the abundant niger seed, it worked! In fact I think it has worked better than we anticipated. One bird is vigorously defending the silver feeder put up my a mate of mine, any Mealy's or Lesser's that come near by are swiftly chases off. On the 6th and the 7th I returned with my iPhone with video and camera ready. 

If you have a reasonably fast broadband connection you can enjoy the videos in High Defenition (HD), when you click to play if you hover over the part that says "360p" options will appear and go up the options and click on "720p HD". If this doesn't work and a list doesn't appear just click on the "360p" etc until you get to "720p". This will give the best quality results possible.

Below are my results, each video is about 20-30 seconds long, enjoy! If you click on the pictures it will enlarge them allowing for a better look. Please feel free to leave comments.

Videos

Coues' Arctic Redpoll with Goldfinch


Coues' Arctic Redpoll with Goldfinch then Lesser & Mealy Redpoll's


Coues' Arctic Redpoll


Coues' Arctic Redpoll with Mealy Redpoll



Coues' Arctic Redpoll with Mealy Redpoll


Images
I have only chosen 3, mainly because the videos are far better and you can get more feel for the birds from the videos than you can from the images. You can click on any of the images and it will take you to a full screen view of the browser you are using.

(Coues’ Arctic Redpoll - © Andrew Kinghorn)

(Coues’ Arctic Redpoll - © Andrew Kinghorn)

(Coues’ Arctic Redpoll - © Andrew Kinghorn)

Until next time, Foghorn out!

4 comments:

  1. You're getting a bit handy with that phone of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jason, the iPhone video and camera is superb. The quality can't really be beaten by many video cameras on the market. The photos arn't that great, but better than what I used to take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that wouldnt have been too difficult now would it! Heeheehee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw your link on Bird forum, I am very interested in the Redpoll species as I have regular visits from 30-50 every day. I had 2 mealies in last week. It would be a dream come true if I got an Arctic in with them. Thanks for the vids and pics. Neil (Neil-T on bird forum)

    ReplyDelete