Thursday 5 November 2009

Snow Bunting......in Great Lumley!

Yesterday on the Durham Bird Club latest sightings page I read a friend of mine had seen 3 Snow Buntings the other night. Presumably when he was walking the dog.
So as I rose in the morning I started on my work and got a call from a different friend saying he would pick me up and we could go and look for them. I said no as I had work to do..............but rang him back minutes later having changed my mind. So we went out and had a fantastic hour!

After 45 minutes we had no Snow Buntings. Then as we where walking up and down the fields they eventually flew up! They sadly gained height turned back round flew over our heads up high and then headed off toward Morton Wood where I took my bins of them. That's a life tick for me! A life tick in my own village! The only down side was I missed a 1 1/2 second view of a Merlin that my freind had. DARN! But we had Kestrel and 2 Sparrowhawk.

We had 21 species! These included the 3 Snow Buntings that flew up and off toward fence houses way. Also had 1 Merlin, 2c Sparrowhawk, 1c Kestrel, 1 Jay, Magpie, 900 – 1000 Woodpigeon, Stock Dove, Yellowhammer, Greenfinch, 30c Tree Sparrow, Bullfinch (heard), 1 Greylag Goose, Skylark, Linnet, Reed Bunting, Blackbird, Song Thrush, 2 Grey Partridge, Pheasant, and 2 Goldfinch.

Life List updates
217 - Snow Bunting

Year List updates
204 - Snow Bunting

No comments:

Post a Comment