Saturday 20 August 2011

Call me, call me by my name

Or call me by my number
You put me through it
I'll still be doing it the way I do it
And yet, you try to make me forget
Who I really am, don't tell me I know best
I'm not the same as all the rest!

I AM THE ONE AND ONLY!

(Eclipse male Blue-winged Teal - © Andrew Kinghorn)

Nobody I'd rather be
I AM THE ONE AND ONLY!
You can't take that away from me!

Today I went down Teesside with Martin to try and see the stunning White-winged Black Tern, I wasn't disappointed and the bird showed very well. Not so stunning was a eclipse male Blue-winged Teal (hence the satire above), it wasn't really as bad as I am making it out to be, its an interesting bird as it was an ID challenge for me. Never seen this species in this plumage before and its always good to learn, we had good views especially of its "blue wing" as it preened and went about it's business. The bird is clearly in heavy moult as when it flapped it became very evidence most of its primaries were missing so it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

 (White-winged Black Tern - © Andrew Kinghorn)

 (White-winged Black Tern - © Ian Forrest)

(White-winged Black Tern - © Ian Forrest)

Please view both videos in HD, if unsure how to do this CLICK HERE

(Blue-winged Teal - © Andrew Kinghorn)

(White-winged Black Tern - © Andrew Kinghorn)

From here we headed to Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park for some "here be dragons' "time. We were successful with at least 4 Brown Hawkers, 2 Common Hawkers, 1 Migrant Hawker (lifer), 1 Ruddy Darter, numerous Common DarterEmerald and Common Blue damselflies. A brilliant day all in all.

 (Common Blue Damselfly - © Andrew Kinghorn)

 (Migrant Hawker - © Andrew Kinghorn)

 (Brown Hawker - © Andrew Kinghorn)

 (Brown Hawker - © Andrew Kinghorn)

(Ruddy Darter - © Andrew Kinghorn)

Will leave you with the song I started the blog post off with:

Until next time, Foghorn out!

2 comments:

  1. Andrew,

    I didnt even realise i was stood next to yesterday watching these, would of said hi otherwise.

    Mike Youdale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to worry Mike, I am sure there will be other times in the future :)

    Were you one of a few of us watching the Blue-winged Teal per chance?

    ReplyDelete