Saturday 6 August 2011

Gotta dash!

Yesterday evening after tea I received a text to say a Bonaparte's Gull was sitting in a ploughed field near Whitburn, I rang a mate on site and he said that it had just flown off. In my ignorance I thought that it wouldn't reappear, fast forward 30 minutes and I was on my way when the bird was re-found, I arrived at Whitburn Steel at around 08.45 and I had all but lost the light (as photos below will show). But thankfully excellent views were had through both the bins and scope and I managed a few record shots. Need to do some more work on my photo editing techniques I think but for now here are my shots:

 (Bonaparte's Gull - © Andrew Kinghorn)

(Bonaparte's Gull - © Andrew Kinghorn)

Cracking bird and I noticed something I hadn't noticed before; mantle shade is slightly darker on Bonaparte's Gull than it is on Black-headed Gull. When I first clapped eyes on the bird I was also delighted to see that it was still in 75% summer plumage.

Until next time, Foghorn out!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andrew,

    Congrats on a cracking bird, with some great shots! Like you I find the darker grey mantle on Boney's Gull is a really good diagnostic. When I first got onto the Boney's at the Ythan Estuary it was roosting so I wasn't able to see the head, but the darker grey mantle really stood out from the Black-headed Gulls.

    All the Best,

    Joseph

    ReplyDelete