Saturday 30 July 2011

Waders - Ya gotta' love em'

People who know me fairly well will know that I am a big fan of waders, I think my interest in them is fuelled slightly by my 'twitching' tendencies and the fact they can occasionally be fairly hard to ID. I always feel that because I spend a lot of my birding time around bodies of water there is always that hope an unusual wader will drop in. Waders are a group of birds where just 1 species can brighten up a birding day, for example if your sitting in a hide and an unusual wader drops in it lifts your spirits. But if I am completely honest my fascination with waders is a puzzle because when I first got into birding I saw very few. This post is dedicated to some of the wader action I have had so far this year, I have had some cracking species from this group of birds that I enjoy seeing so much this year.

Please view all videos in HD. If unsure how to do this CLICK HERE.

One highlight of this year were the 3 Temminck's Stints that were at Rainton Meadows DWT for a fairly prolonged period during spring migration. It was brilliant to see this species so close to home and on a reserve where my enthusiasm for birding fuelled. They may not be much to look at on plumage but to me they are a simply superb bird and a real star find for local photographer/birder John Bridges and Gary Crowder.

(Temminck's Stint - © John Bridges)

(Temminck's Stint - Andrew Kinghorn)

The next highlight comes in the form of 3 Red-necked Phalaropes, sadly all 3 of these birds were seen in Norfolk and Lincolnshire but the species was a lifer for me. I had 1 at Frampton Marsh RSPB in Lincolnshire and 2 at Welney WWT in Norfolk. The first bird I saw was a little distant at Frampton but I wasn't moaning as it was a brilliant bird to see and a right stunner! Then a few days later I was at Welney WWT and whilst I was there visitors found 2 more birds from one of the hides. Thankfully I managed to see these 2 birds and had brilliant views. Another excellent bird for me and another highlight of the year. 

(Red-necked Phalarope - Andrew Kinghorn)

(Red-necked Phalarope - Andrew Kinghorn)

Whilst away in Norfolk a mate text me to inform me he had just been to see a Terek Sandpiper in Northumberland. I couldn't believe it, a bird I had missed twice in Durham! It was a wader I really wanted to see as it is somewhat unique due to its bill and it was one of the first rare birds I had wanted to really see. The bird stayed around until the day I came back from Norfolk, I got home and straight in the car and up to Hauxley NR in time to see this stunning wader. Another highlight of the year, so far this has been my favourite wader of the year. Wanted to see one for a while and thankfully now I have.

(Terek Sandpiper - Andrew Kinghorn)

(Terek Sandpiper - Andrew Kinghorn)

The next highlight was closer to home on pretty much the same spot I saw my first of the species; Pectoral Sandpiper. The news broke fairly late on a Saturday night and as it was I was out that night so was unable to go straight away (county list this year). The next day it was still there and after a while of searching I managed to see this stunning bird and extremely good views were had. What a cracker; Pec Sands are brilliant birds.

 (Pectoral Sandpiper - Andrew Kinghorn)

(Pectoral Sandpiper - Andrew Kinghorn)

(Pectoral Sandpiper - Andrew Kinghorn)

The next wader is rather special for me as it marks my 300th BOU British bird; Marsh Sandpiper. This species is another bird that news broke of when I was on holiday not long ago. With it being at Blacktoft RSPB it was frustrating as I knew that if I had been at home I would have been able to go for the bird. However patients and much hope later the bird stayed until I got home and then on the first weekday after I got back I went to Blacktoft RSPB and saw this stunning wader. Another cracker and by all accounts one of the rarest mentioned in this post. Marsh Sandpiper will now always be a special bird for me. 

(Marsh Sandpiper - Andrew Kinghorn)

(Marsh Sandpiper - Andrew Kinghorn)

Last but not a least (see what I did there) is White-rumped Sandpiper. Another brilliant bird, I saw my first on exactly the same causeway on Saltholme RSPB last year. This year I saw the bird twice and both times had good views, better than last years for sure. What a cracker of a wader to finish this post on.

(White-rumped Sandpiper - © Ian Forrest)

(White-rumped Sandpiper - Andrew Kinghorn)

Will autumn bring as good a wader as last year; Sharp-tailed Sandpiper. Or will it be an autumn where that stunner of a wader evades me. Lets wait and see.

Until next time, Foghorn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment