Saturday 2 July 2011

White-winged Black Tern - Saltholme RSPB - 1st July 2011

After a very tough day I was just about to relax and chill out when I got a text that alerted me to a White-winged Black Tern at Saltholme RSPB in Teesside. So after having my tea I headed on down and was no site for about 08.10. It was a lovely evening; still, calm, and not a breath of wind. I began to search and after about 5 minutes drew a blank. I didn't fancy dipping this bird after the day I had, would just add insult to injury!

So a lad who was standing next to me picked it up at the other side of the road on Saltholme East. The bird performed well if not a little distant. I had Long-eared Owl and White-winged Black Tern flying in the same scope view at one point, I doubt that event will ever be repeated again! The bird perched up on two occasions on a post on Saltholme East but as can be expected the wonderful enraged Common Terns saw it off pretty quick!

 (White-winged Black Tern - © Ian Forrest)

(White-winged Black Tern - © Ian Forrest)

Also present was a Bar-headed Goose and Roseate Tern, didn't see the Roseate Tern but I am not to concerned. Still time for them yet.

(Bar-headed Goose - Andrew Kinghorn)


(Bar-headed Goose - Andrew Kinghorn)

Bar-headed Goose....where's my pencil and British bird list? ;)

Until next time, Foghorn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment