Wednesday 13 January 2010

Slender-billed Curlew – Re found?

Well……….possibly. On the 20th to the 23rd at least. There where 2 reported by a WWF Dutch volunteer whilst surveying the area. A task force from the UK is going to join the finder. Let’s just hope they are verified and they are both Slender-billed Curlews the first confirmed record since 2001! Also this gives some hope that this species is still alive and we might be able to save the Slender-billed Curlew from extinction.


I have always been in the belief that they where not extinct and that there was still some hope in finding the species. At times I have not been so confident but this has refreshed my hope and optimism they are still alive!

See the last post on this thread for full details:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=115215&page=35

Could my number one bird I want to see more than any other still be alive! Will I get a chance in the future to see this fantastic bird?

I hope you can join me in saying “I want this to be true!”


(Slender-billed Curlew flanked by two Whimbrel)

2 comments:

  1. Keeping everything crossed !!

    My mate is part of the "task force" thats out there at the moment. That site is the traditional SBC wintering site, he was there a little while ago apparently (with no luck) but is now further south. He is on his way back there now tho....

    If they find them I may well be stinking two fingers up to the bank and booking a flight !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me to! I do think they will be Slender-billed Curlews but I jsut hope they can catch them, tag them and then find the breeding grounds.

    I know someone who saw the two wintering birds back in January 1992 when I was like weeks old.

    If I had the money to go I would! Damn what I would do for two tickets to Morocco. Ever seen that show Banged Up Abroad ;) lol

    ReplyDelete